Rent-to-Own Homes in Wichita, KS: Everything You Need to Know
The largest, most populous city in Kansas, Wichita, embodies all of the positive images of a midwestern city. With nearly 400,000 people calling the city their home, there is much to do.
Moving to Wichita will allow you to get a lot of house for your money. With median home prices here at $129,300, you’ll have a large selection from which to choose. Driving through the residential streets of the city will give you a sense of American history as the architectural styles are a veritable walk through the decades. There are classic L-ranches, large Victorian homes, neo-classical, arts and craft bungalows, Queen Anne and Romanesque, among others. For those looking to rent, an average rental price of $743 monthly can be expected at $669 for a one-bedroom or $803 for a two-bedroom. Nearly 60% of the city own their homes, while the other 40% rent.
The Cost of Living in Wichita
If setting down roots in a city that won’t take too big a bite out of your wallet is the goal, Wichita is a good choice. While a few basics, such as utilities, are higher than the national average, the vast majority of expenses, especially the cost of buying or renting a home, are much less than average in Wichita. The median price of a house in Wichita is a modest $129,300. Further, average salaries are $45,907. Income taxes range between 3.5%-5.7% based on one’s earnings. That leaves residents with more disposable income to go to savings, social purchases, or other purchases of their choosing. Shoppers should be prudent, though; sales tax is 7.5%.
The Local Weather and Climate
Wichita is known for frigid winters and hot, dry summers. The city does experience a good deal of precipitation over the course of the year, but the vast majority is rain. Snow is by far less common, with roughly 15 inches per year falling on the city. Air pollution is better here than the national average by 95%, making it lovely to draw in a deep breath.
Sports in the City
While Wichita does not have teams located right in the city, the residents here are ardent supporters of the teams that come from Kansas. There are three major league teams they cheer on – The Kansas City Chiefs (NFL), Kansas City Royals (MLB), and Sporting Kansas City (MLS). Several local minor league and college-level teams round out the group of sports teams Wichita teams cheer on throughout the year.
Schools and Higher Education
Kansas offers more than 60 universities, colleges, and technical schools for higher learning. Several of these schools are located right in Wichita, including Wichita State University. For K-12 learners, the Wichita Public School District offers its nearly 50,000 students a solid education. There are 54 elementary schools, 15 middle schools, and nine high schools, as well as nine special schools. There are 24 magnet programs offered throughout the district, which is known for its diversity.